ARTS CENTER AT DUCK CREEK: Exhibition/Event Proposal Application Guidelines (download this page as pdf)
Mission Statement: The mission of the Arts Center at Duck Creek is to perpetuate the goals and the spirit of artist John Little, who converted the Gardiner Barn to a studio in the 1950’s. Little was dedicated to bringing contemporary art and artists to the East End, making his studio available as meeting place for local artists and guest quarters for those visiting. In 1957, Little continued to nurture the local art community by founding the Signa Gallery with partners Elizabeth Parker and Alfonse Ossorio, which operated on Newtown Lane until 1960.
The Arts Center at Duck Creek seeks to continue John Little’s legacy by bringing contemporary programming in the visual, literary and performing arts to the John Little Barn and the grounds at Duck Creek Farm for the benefit of the East Hampton community. The John Little Barn at Duck Creek Farm strives to provide space for local and regional artists whose work supports our goals.
The John Little Barn at Duck Creek Farm reviews exhibition proposals twice per year, on December 1 and March 1. You will be contacted within 60 days of these review dates if your proposal is accepted, and we will inform you of our decision.
Restrictions of Use and Operation:
• The maximum permitted occupancy of the John Little Barn is 40 people.
• There can be no admission charge for any event or activity, although suggested donations are permissible.
• No work of art can be for sale, or priced as if for sale, anywhere on the premises. Resumes, biographies, and contact information for the artist(s) or the artist(s)’ representatives can be kept on site.
• As this is a town owned property, all members of the public are allowed access to the grounds between dawn and dusk.
Information on the John Little Barn
• The space is 30 x 40 feet and the barn doors open to give access 10’ wide by 12’ high.
• There are adjustable track lights in the space
• The space is not climatised.
• While the space can be securely locked, there is no security alarm system at present.
How to submit your proposal:
· A professional resume for yourself and/or participants
· One-page statement defining the event
· Any materials which provide an overview of the events content
· A list of participants
Visual Art: Solo Exhibition
· Current professional resume
· One-page artist statement
· 10-15 images in digital presentation format, which provide an overview of the exhibition’s content
Visual Art: Group Exhibition/ Juried & Children’s Exhibitions:
· Concept Statement (theme) of exhibition
· A Statement/Information related to each artist participating
· 3-5 images or other format from each artist, which provide an overview of the exhibition’s content and concept
*PLEASE NOTE: The Arts Center at Duck Creek does NOT provide staffing to maintain PUBLIC ACCESS HOURS. Exhibitors are required maintain PUBLIC ACCESS HOURS to the space at a MINIMUM OF 12 HOURS PER WEEK, preferably Friday - Sunday. Additional assistance in keeping hours, in the form of volunteers, can be provided with advanced approval of the committee.
ALL PROPOSALS AND MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED DIGITALLY BY EMAIL: email@example.com
All proposals are reviewed and voted on by the Committee and an Advisory Board.
Upon Acceptance of your Proposal: You will be assigned a point person from the Arts Center at Duck Creek to advise you on how to meet the following requirements within 45 days of event date:
· A Certificate of Insurance for Liability with dates specific to your event
· A Certificate of Insurance (or signed waiver) for any Loss or Damages to your property
· A Town approved Mass Gathering Permit for the Exhibition or Event
· The Arts Center at Duck Creek must review all press materials in advance of distribution
As a Committee, we are here to work with you, guide you through the process and work collaboratively to make your event a success. We will gladly provide you with keys to the property in advance of your event. Once all of the above requirements are met, a signed agreement accepting responsibility for the upkeep and clean maintenance of the property throughout the exhibition/event time period will be required prior to keys/access to the property.